While Children Wait
While families access First Words services, parents can also benefit from information and services provided by various community agencies. Here are some ways health professionals can help!
Private speech-language pathologists:
- Link families to Ottawa Public Health Information Line at 613-580-6744. Families can speak to trained First Words nurses about any issues related to Speech and Language services, programs and other early years services and agencies.
- Encourage families to visit the “Strategies” or "Learning Tools" sections of the First Words website. Parents will find useful resources and information to help promote their child’s communication development.
- Link families to the community. Many free early years programs focusing on learning and social development are offered in the Ottawa community through various agencies. The Parent Resource Centre maintains a directory of parenting resources available in the Ottawa-Carleton region.
- Parents may wish to use a private speech-language pathologist for their child at their own cost. Families who have received the services of a private speech-language pathologist can still receive First Words services.
- First Words keeps a list of private speech-language pathologists who see children in the Ottawa area. Please note that First Words does not confirm the practitioner’s certification or qualifications.
- The Private Practice Checklist includes suggested questions to use when contracting a private speech-language pathologist.