First Words Program
First Words provides free services for families with children from birth to eligibility to Senior Kindergarten. The program partners with community workers, Early Childhood Educators and clinicians.
If you have questions about your child’s speech and language milestones,
Clinical Speech Language Pathology services
The First Words service delivery model includes these steps:
- Parents access our Communication Checkup e-screening tool for their child or can self-refer to the CHEO Access Team.
- Parents must complete and return the First Words Intake package. Available through the Communication Checkup or by requesting one from the CHEO Access Team.
- Child will be assessed by a Speech Language Pathologist.
- Child and family access treatment and intervention.
- The Speech Language Pathologist will support the family with transition to school.
Community Outreach and Health Promotion
Special Needs Strategy
On behalf of the Ontario Special Needs Strategy Ottawa Planning Table, here is an update on the activities and progress we have made since our last communiqué January 2016. Please click here for more details: Update April 2016