Ages and Stages
Did you know…
- Speech and language problems are the most common faced by preschool children in Ottawa.
- At least 1 in 10 children will face a speech and/or language difficulty.
- Parents and caregivers have the greatest impact on their child’s speech and language development.
- No child is too young to have an assessment of his or her speech and language development.
- Any child can have a speech or language problem. It does not mean that the child is less intelligent.
Should I wait if my child is not meeting the communication milestones?
No, don’t wait. It is better to treat a speech or language problem early. You know your child best. You talk and listen to your child more than anyone else. If you think your child has any kind of speech or language problem, you can:
- Complete our Communication Checkup online screening tool
- Call Ottawa Public Health at 613-PARENTS
- Review the communication milestones
- Fill out the Looksee Checklist by ndds
If you still have concerns:
- Refer directly to the CHEO Access Team at (613) 737-2757