Are you worried about your child’s speech and language development?
If you think that your child might be having trouble learning to communicate, it is very important to get them the help they need as early as possible. Our free Communication Checkup online screening tool is available to families living in Ottawa, Ontario with children 6 months to 5 years of age.
If you think a child has any kind of speech or language problem, you can:
- Call Ottawa Public Health 613-580-6744
- Complete the Communication Checkup online screening tool
- Review the communication milestones
- Review the Nipissing District Developmental Screening Tool
If you still have concerns:
- Contact the First Words Intake at CHEO 613-737-7600 ext. 2500 to add your child’s name on the waiting list for a Speech and Language assessment. You do not need a referral from a Health Professional.
- About speech and language development AND about overall development (i.e. play, socializing, motor skills), call the Ottawa Children’s Treatment Centre at 613-737-0871 ext. 4425 or download and complete the OCTC Intake Referral Form to refer your child. Children from birth to senior kindergarten-entry are eligible.